Tuesday, February 01, 2005

NY Times on moral value of fighting poverty

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/30/politics/30poverty.html?oref=login
Please note that I got this link from dKos's pastordan. I feel some hope but also a little trepidation. I think a real hurdle that no one's paying attention to is prosperity theology where we blame poverty on the poor. I worry greatly that when folks start talking about personal responsibility their train of thought inevitably runs to make things harder on the poor both working and unemployed to teach them all about personal responsibility. It's the old "poverty is the result of liberal welfare programs" spiel. Of course that's wrong and ugly - but it has allowed the guilty to avoid their Christian duty on many occasions. I hope Wallis and others can overcome it, my prayers and thoughts are with them, but I'm not holding my breath.