Sunday, January 23, 2005

De-Coding Bush

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/159/story_15968_1.html
I know some are offended by the God-talk while I'm not. What does disturb me is first, Bush's complete lack of awareness of what a failure he is at living out what he's preaching and second, how that disconnect drives more perceptive and insightful people away from divine reality. Bush is not alone in this repulsion; I feel that this dynamic is under-rated (misunderestimated?) in contributing to cultural divisions. But fellow liberal Christians take heart, we are blessed with many opportunities here. We can forgive the hypocrisy - forgiveness feels dramatically better than anger. We can pray for those who persecute us. We can even - and please understand that it's not easy for me to say this - evangelize for our liberal friends just by persevering through these strange and sometimes ugly times.